----- Original Message -----
From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] OT: Mentor PADS comparison

(...snip...)

> >don't see a wire name at all unless I place a net
> >label.
>
> Protel does not display automatically-assigned wire names.... The actual
> name assigned will vary with how connectivity is specified..... But I
can't
> recall ever wanting to see these names.... In practice, one always knows a
> node in the net and the node is easy to find in Protel. I think DXP has
> made some advances in net analysis in Schematic, but I'm not sufficiently
> familiar....

The place I find viewing automatic schematic net names useful is if the PCB
is in a different tool that cannot be directly hot-linked (such as when only
a netlist was passed between them).  Then it is not easy to highlight an
assortment of nets on the schematic and automatically have them highlighted
similarly on the PCB.  You have to do it manually one pin  per net, which
can add up to a lot of time if you have to do it a lot.  If the automatic
net name were available on the schematic it shortens the time somewhat.

On a related note, I find having meaningful net names helps me understand
and untangle the PCB when I'm not autorouting.  Therefore I would like to
name (nearly) all significant nets on the schematic.  However, I need to
keep some local and some global.  This can be done with ports, but this use
conflicts with some customers restriction of using ports for identifying
busses only.  It would be nice if there were a local/global/automatic
override control on net labels.

Jeff Condit