At 10:33 AM 5/17/2004, Jeff Condit wrote:
On a related note, I find having meaningful net names helps me understand
and untangle the PCB when I'm not autorouting.  Therefore I would like to
name (nearly) all significant nets on the schematic.

Absolutely. This is much more useful than automatic names anyway (though the automatic names that take the name from a presumed source pin can be somewhat useful).

  However, I need to
keep some local and some global.  This can be done with ports, but this use
conflicts with some customers restriction of using ports for identifying
busses only.  It would be nice if there were a local/global/automatic
override control on net labels.

There is such a control, unfortunately it is precisely the one which conflicts with customer usage. The restriction of ports to busses is a bad idea, I can't think of any good reason for it. You can tell at a glance what is a bus and what is an individual net!

It would be important that the distinction in function between net labels be represented by some unmistakeable graphic difference. Ports satisfy that.... adding yet another category would add a significant layer of confusion to what can already be a bit of a stretch for the mind.