On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:06:13 AM UTC+2, Drew White wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 September 2016 17:47:01 UTC+10, Foppe de Haan  wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:20:29 AM UTC+2, Drew White wrote:
> > > Hi Devs,
> > >
> > > I would like to know from a dev what the requirements are for Qubes
> > > Windows Tools (QWT).
> > >
> > > All O/S reference are known to be x86_64.
> > >
> > > Does QWT require any specific version of Windows 7?
> > > Or will they work with all versions of Windows 7?
> > covered here: all.
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/
>
> Doesn't even BEGIN to answer the question.

Assertions really aren't very useful unless accompanied by reasons.

> > > Why does QWT require TESTSIGNING to be turned on?
> > > Is that because Win7 requires things to be signed?
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/
> > "Before proceeding with the installation we need to disable Windows
> > mechanism that allows only signed drivers to be installed, because
> > currently (beta releases) the drivers we provide as part of the Windows
> > Tools are not digitally signed with a publicly recognizable certificate."
>
> Still doesn't answer that question either.

So long as you do not ask sufficiently specific questions that indicate why
that doesn't answer your question, I see little reason for you to demand a
dev's time.

> I said "hi devs" because I needed someone with the knowledge of WHY, not just
> an end user reason, but a dev description that is technical.
Ask technical questions, you might get technical answers. All you do is ask
exceedingly generic questions that betray little technical background, given
that you don't seem to realize that you're asking insufficiently specific
questions to get the answers/attention you seek.

> > > What are the CPU/RAM requirements for running QWT Seamless Mode?
> > As far as I can tell, they are no different. I myself generally assign 2
> > cores of a modern cpu + 1.2-2gb ram. Works well enough
>
> That tells me nothing.
please stop using all this hyperbole.
> That only tells me what you assign to a Windows Guest.
> What it doesn't tell me is what the tools require in seamless mode, including
> but not limited to the Windows Guest and Dom0.

I'm sorry, but what I'm missing here is your explanation/indication as to what
you have already tried yourself, and why the information you seek could not be
retrieved by you installing a w7 VM, installing the tools, and checking ram use
in a running VM; and secondly, if you had indeed checked that out before asking
it here, why that information wasn't useful/sufficiently informative to you.

> Further to that question being answered was... How many resources does it
> require per window that is converted to it's own display window?
> Along with, Is there a big difference for requirements comparing 1440x900 and
> 1920x1080 ?
Again, please indicate why this information is important to you, in an age
where 16gb ram is easily achievable on any home pc. Also indicate what kind of
programs you wish to run, as I would think that some are rather more demanding
than others.

> > > Why not have QWT be it's own GUI rather than explorer.exe, and also
> > > replace the login shell for windows?
> > > Or is that something that would be difficult to do?
> > I would assume so, yes.
>
> You don't know, so you are not a dev?
What's with these rhetorical questions? Did you mistake this for a high-school
debate class, and are you hoping to score "points"?

> The thing is they are already separating the windows to make individual
> windows on Dom0, even though each of those are merely the overlapped windows
> in windows itself, and they remain overlapped in windows.
>
> I am inquiring this in technical form so that I can further understand some
> things in regards to parts that I"m looking at at the moment.
again, this is way too vague.

> While I do appreciate user involvement, I prefer you to not answer what you
> have no idea about, that keeps things clean and me not getting frustrated
> because an end user tries to answer a technical question that they have no
> idea about nor the knowledge of what is involved in such a task.

The reason I do not provide the answers you seek has much more to do with the
horrible lack of precision of those questions, than with anything relating to
me. If you cannot clarify what you want to know, AND make it clear to the
person who you are asking to spend time answering your questions that you have
sufficient expertise to appreciate the answer, I would respectfully suggest
that you don't hold your breath waiting for an answer, as you are not likely to
get it.

> So please, refrain from answering my questions with details that don't answer
> anything. If the website had the information, I would not be asking.
I would have, if that had been the case.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it from now. I hope that my reply helps you to
understand why you are not getting the answers you say you seek.