On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 10:21:04 PM UTC-5, awokd wrote:
> On Thu, January 4, 2018 2:34 am, Wael M. Nasreddine wrote:
> > This is even better
> > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817153218 for $280
> > but it does not seem to come with 2 EPS (even though I see +12V1 and
> > +12V2.
> > I think one is EPS and another one is ATX. I read on coreboot that
> > adapters can catch on fire, but not sure if that applies here as my
> > understanding is adapters if for hooking up both CPUs in parallel. What do
> > you think?
>
> Sorry Wael, can't make a hardware recommendation there but to address
> something Taiidan said further upthread about PS2 keyboards and ground
> wires:
>
> https://www.pcworld.com/article/161166/article.html
> Their work only applies to older, PS/2 keyboards, but the data they get is
> "pretty good," they say. On these keyboards, "the data cable is so close
> to the ground cable, the emanations from the data cable leak onto the
> ground cable, which acts as an antenna," Barisani said.

TY again for your posts!  Sounds like someone has to be in the same room.   I
did hear about this on Steve Gibsons podcast a while ago from some college kids
research who did it successfully.  but guess I didn't think of it as something
practical.

"The researchers found a way to sniff USB keyboards, but older PS/2 keyboards,
which have ground wires that connect right into the electric grid, were the
best."

And so they can still sniff usb keyboards apparently.  And contrary to what Tai
believes,  it also works on laptops...

Still think its not something to worry about unless in a public setting, and
even still probaby very uncommon.

Then again,  the government agent can break into your home and place a device.
But I always say in that case,  you have way more other problems to worry
about,   and they have more practical devices to put in your home.  At that
point they might as well use a camera and just watch your keystrokes.