On Monday, 5 February 2018 00:55:34 CET Unman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 08:14:57PM +0100, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users
wrote:
> > * Having nothing but python APIs for your operating system is something
> > that makes no sense. Python was never meant for servers, or even big
> > applications. Finding a full-stack python developer is more rare than
> > finding a Bitcoin C++ developer.
>
> I'm not sure how much of this is just trolling.

It is not trolling.

> You obviously dont mean uses like Google, DropBox, YouTube, Reddit etc.
> Perhaps you dont know about Eve Online? Mercurial? Blender?

Absolutely none of these use python for anywhere near the same percentage of
components as Qubes does.
Google is a good example, for instance they shipped proto-buffers. Which
have bindings in a long list of languages (20 or so).

Check wikipedia for those examples, reality is much more sobering that you
think.

> There are exceptional developers working in many companies -Google,
> NASA, Astra Zeneca, to name a few, all using python. The fact that
> you arent comfortable with it is fine, but not a reason to reject it.

Thats moving the goalpost. Naturally there are many experienced python
developers.

Let me re-state the point for your benefit;

Having nothing but python bindings and having practically all your
components written in python is without a doubt very realistically limiting
the amount of people you can get hacking on Qubes. Add on top of that the
content matter, which is highly complex and in many cases includes
networking or cross-VM communication or hard-core linux components and you
limit the amount of people even more, to the extend I mentioned above.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io