I'm a giant fan of fixed gear bikes, but I'm tired of horizontal dropouts.
If a bike is made for derailleurs, vertical makes more sense. I might
prefer verticals all around, and use an eccentric ENO hub. Most of my
aspirational bikes come with Phil eccentric bottom brackets to get the
advantage of verticality.

 Philip

Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com