At 8:34 AM -0800 12/17/1999, Matthew Tevenan wrote:
>Reply to: RE: using large hard disk as backup desitination Wade,
>Up until Mac OS 9, the maximum file size was 2 GB. Now that Apple
>has lifted that limit, we need to change Retrospect to reflect that
>new capability. We'll probably be doing this in our next release.

I understand that the physical file can't exceed 2GB (at least prior
to OS9), but I don't understand why this is a barrier to doing a file
backup set that exceeds 2GB in total. Other programs are able create
segmented files when they reach a given size. If I'm reading the
message that Eric posted to the list a few months back (see below)
correctly, even your own program understands how to do segmentation
when dealing with removable media. So my question is, why can't it do
segmentation (via containers or whatever) when dealing with a file
backup set on a fixed drive that exceeds the 2GB mark?

Barring some technical reason, maybe that option can be added to the
next update (ideally where the user can set the segmentation size)?
This has benefit of working even for those of us that choose not to
upgrade to OS9. It also provides a mechanism for dealing with the
issue when we start to reach OS9's file size limits. Although at 2TB
hopefully we wont reach that point for a year or two. :)

At 3:15 PM -0700 8/19/1999, Eric Ullman wrote:
>With Retrospect 4.1, we included support for filling removable
>cartridges that hold more than 2GB, by writing multiple containers
>as required, up to the media's max storage capacity. However, we
>can't do this with file StorageSets (on a second hard drive, for
>example); one must use a duplicate (OS format, no compression)
>operation to fill a 9GB hard disk.
>Best regards,

Michael Gaines                                  snail mail:     Learning Technology
Computer Systems Administrator                          Box 45, GPC
Nashville, TN 37203
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    (615) 322-8070