Hmmm - here's an alternate possibility:

1.  Set up a folder for each client volume to be backed up
2.  Set each folder as a volume using the subvolume option in Retrospect
3.  Create a duplicate script for each of these.  Using the duplicate
    function with replace entire HD, you will get a mirror of each volume on
    the server - retrospect is smart enough to do an incremental duplicate
    so these should run pretty quickly
4.  Then backup the server locally to a handy tape device.

This will require more active management and tracking as you won't be able
to use Retrospect's advanced search features by client name since it will
all be one data source, but if you organize your server structure carefully,
you should be OK.  You also won't be able to use the smarts of the backup
server scripts and will be stuck with scheduled ones (not critical for a
smaller backup group tho').

Erik Ableson

NB - this only works if you have a clear controlled client group that you
know exactly the available capacity and can ensure that you have sufficient
space on the server.

Ancillary issues are that if you have a mix of Windows and Mac clients there
are some naming issues that may arise since the Mac can't handle names over
32 characters, and if you decide to try this from a Windows box, you'll need
to ensure that you have things set up to properly handle MacOS resource
forks. Sigh - nothing's ever as simple as it first looks.