Paper and printing are expensive. I can understand SW companies not
wanting to consign warehouse-loads of manuals to the trash due to
incorrect version numbers. Conventional metal-plate offset printing
isn't economical for short print runs.

How about an adhesive label with the version number, applied at shipping time?

Alternatively, there are lots of short-run "on demand" printing
workflows using digital presses (such as Indigo) to circumvent precisely
this problem, which everyone who produces tech manuals has to face.

--

top of the world,

Luke Jaeger, Technology Coordinator
Disney Magazine Publishing
Northampton, Massachusetts
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and may not represent
the opinions of Disney Publishing, etc etc etc.

*