Stefan -

Don't know much about crossover cable networking. I suspect that it's
kind of hit-or-miss ... whichever machine is turned on first gets to
decide the duplex setting, and the second one tries with or without
success to connect to it. My few attempts to network in this manner have
not gone well.

Buying cards and hubs from the same manufacturer is a nice idea, though
it may not be practical. This pretty much limits you to dealing with
Asante or Farallon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At the very
least I'd standardize on a single vendor for cards just so you don't go nuts.

If you're using a dumb hub, there's not much you can do to control the
duplex setting. If you're using a switch, you can configure it to a
certain duplex (probably). See the mac-mgrs archives for a wealth of
advice on switch configuration, specifically regarding the dreaded Cisco
'spanning tree' protocol which if not disabled, causes annoying "Your
AppleTalk Network is now available" messages every 30 seconds.

Personally, I've found 3d party 10/100 cards to be funky and
cantankerous -- I have a number of them, and some of them just refuse to
hold onto the duplex settings I give them. The built-in 10/100 on blue
G3's works great however, and can be forced to the duplex setting of
your choice by installing the appropriate flavor of Apple Enet Duplexer
extension. (An unsupported Apple init which you can download from
apple's web site).

--

top of the world,

Luke Jaeger, Technology Coordinator
Disney Magazine Publishing
Northampton, Massachusetts
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and may not represent
the opinions of Disney Publishing, etc etc etc.

*