>Having read some the replys, I'll throw my 2 cents in too.  I have
>noticed that if I've rebooted my backup machine, a good 50% of the time
>Retrospect will not launch by itself when scheduled.  When I first
>
>Owen Watson wrote:
>
> > Occasionally (often when I'm away) Retrospect (latest version) won't
> > start up automatically on my Mac. No lack of memory. When I do launch
> > Retro on these occasions it then happily does its scripts, but why is
> > the autolaunch so erratic?

Wow! I have seen this a few times but my rule of thumb *is* to reboot
before going away! If I desperately want the backup to work, I will
open Retrospect as well.

My guess has been that some programs are good at ruining a portion of
the memory used by autolaunches. And Matthew Tevenan's suggestion
about a damaged extension sounds plausible; it is helpful because it
gives offers a very specific cure (that may not work though).

With a lot of macs at work I just learn live with these things. I see
similar sorts of problem (I believe) with the failure of Remote
Access Disconnect to disconnect (no problem if you open the main
program), loss of network after using a couple of different Adobe
program versions, and several other experiences that escape me for
the moment. Exact troubleshooting is just not on with these type of
problems that occur only after using many or certain combinations of
programs. I know how it might be fixed. But who has time to do often
the gruesome process of reinstalling the Mac system and a complex set
of applications, then manually reset all the preferences (I routinely
trash several preference files to solve some sorts of problems)? [I
know what you are thinking but 'No', the Retro backup of the fresh
machine won't have the newer application, and 5 different upgrades on
it!] Sorry Owen, it's not much help.

Paul Fyfe (IT manager, Jesuit Publications, Melbourne Australia)