On Wednesday, May 09, 2012, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> ...It's a prettier example of the same sort of breed as that car.

After a bit more reflection, it occurs to me the real problem is not the
eclectic design, but that every neat little gizmo bolted onto this thing was
manufactured by a different company.  We've got imperial and metric
measurements, different voltage standards, three-phase motors that have to be
fed with a rotary converter, etc.

All the parts were made to different standards, and most of the manufacturers
are long since out of business, so if you call the number stamped on the part
to ask someone a question, you're going to get a disconnected message, and
then you're going to have to figure it out for yourself, or build a new part
from scratch.  I usually get stuck doing the latter myself, because I'm just
no good at getting into other people's heads.

I guess this problem affects all software development, but I wouldn't know
that, because I'm not a professional by any means.  I guess Rosegarden is my
rude awakening to all the jubilation and glee I missed out on by being a
liberal arts major.

No great loss.  Software is a pain in the ass.