I haven't tested the timing thing either. My computer keeps freezing. When I reboot it, I'm stuck at 1024x768, and the only way I have managed to make progress on that issue is to reinstall Kubuntu. I've been around that bush three times now, and I have grown tired of the aggravation. This machine is rather old, and I suspect the hardware is just flaking out. Either that, or Kubuntu 18.04 is less stable than its many predecessors, which I find difficult to imagine. Still, the trouble started when I upgraded from 16.04, so that may be the culprit. So many things have changed it's more trouble than it's worth to me to try to keep track of any of it.

I had gotten in the habit of just buying a retail desktop PC off the shelf, but you can't buy those anymore. Getting Linux onto a retail Windows PC is a huge pain in the ass anyway. I guess I have to go figure out what components to buy and roll my own like it's 1995. I am not looking forward to this at all.

--
D. Michael McIntyre