On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 04:37:15 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I haven't tested the timing thing either.  My computer keeps freezing.
>When I reboot it, I'm stuck at 1024x768, and the only way I have managed
>to make progress on that issue is to reinstall Kubuntu.  I've been
>around that bush three times now, and I have grown tired of the
>aggravation.  This machine is rather old, and I suspect the hardware is
>just flaking out.  Either that, or Kubuntu 18.04 is less stable than its
>many predecessors, which I find difficult to imagine.  Still, the
>trouble started when I upgraded from 16.04, so that may be the culprit.
>So many things have changed it's more trouble than it's worth to me to
>try to keep track of any of it.
>
>I had gotten in the habit of just buying a retail desktop PC off the
>shelf, but you can't buy those anymore.  Getting Linux onto a retail
>Windows PC is a huge pain in the ass anyway.  I guess I have to go
>figure out what components to buy and roll my own like it's 1995.  I am
>not looking forward to this at all.

Over here in the UK I found a company the builds to order, and are quite happy
to do so with no OS installed with the knowledge you are going to run Linux on
it, so will use known supported peripherals. They are not cheap, but I've now
had two machines from them and in both cases all I needed to to was install
from CD.

The latest one is a quad core Ryzen and is just over a year old now - sings
like a bird :)

Is there nothing like that where you are?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk