Jeremy White a écrit :
>> I agree, especially that there are two independent versions being developed.
>>

> I do not understand why there are two efforts underway.
>
> Specifically, Pascal, I do not understand why you have decided
> to start your own effort.  As far as I can tell, Dr. Kirby is
> leading the older and more vibrant effort at this point, and
> it seems to me that his is the logical project to back.

Because, hum well, let's say I code for fun. And some mails with Mr
Kirby were far from that. Moreover he asked on newsgroup if I was simply
"wasting my time" adding some features.
Really irritated, one hour later, I started Scid-pg.
Regarding "vibrant effort", I did not check progress of ChessDB, but if
he added more useful (no time wasting) features than me, then
congratulations.

> I am still unable to view the archives of the scid-users list, so forgive
> me if I've missed some history that occurred before I joined the list.
>
> Obviously, the beauty of open source is that forks are possible,
> so that the quality of the result, and thus the end user, can
> be the deciding factor on which approach is better.
>
> But forks are a waste of time and energy; is there not some way
> we can all work together?

You will never find a greatest opponent as I am to forks. ChessDb is a
fork (consider the useless replacement of 1600+ Scid occurences in
source code to chessDB, what was this for !?, copyrights added on files
where not a single byte was changed !? ). I did not behave like that in
order to be able to quickly give my changes back to Scid (and Shane
Hudson). Scid-pg is not a fork, I'll do my best for that.

> I also agree that it is better to start a new effort,
> away from the name scid, for many of the same reasons already articulated.
I gave my counter arguments in other mails. Consider all scenarios, all
combinations, Shane's possibilities, etc ... Conclusion is not that
obvious. At least mine is different. A fork should only be triggered
when there is no other possibility.

Pascal Georges