A konkani staple is this daal preparation, Daalithoy. Almost everyone I
know gets nostalgic about it from time to time (mainly because the kids
hate it, which means it rarely gets made). The best version is the freshly
made one, with seasoning of mustard, curry leaves and, the vital
ingredient, asafoetida.  Yet, when I was growing up, I knew at least two
uncles and an aunt who liked their Daalithoy soured. They would keep it in
a dark corner overnight and next morning, the layer of mold on the surface
skimmed off, slurp it with much lipsmacking (goes well with idlis, iirc).
They all lived into their 80s so you're probably safe!

--
Narendra Shenoy
http://narendrashenoy.blogspot.com