Hi Adam,

I am not aware of any plugin that generates polygon density based on camera
distance. It is something that I have often wanted to do with my ocean
setups, but never spent the time to come up with a procedural method. Doing
this in ICE *should* be possible ( i have never tried it), and exactly like
how you mentioned -- using a grid of points in front of the camera to
decide polygon density on an ocean grid.

I am linking below the latest build of aaOcean with Softimage 2013 sdk. It
should allow you to write out exr vector displacement maps via the shader,
in case that is desired. It also adds some extra controls to match those
introduced by sidefx H12.5's ocean implementation.

www.amaanakram.com/plugins/aaOceanSuite_2.6/aaOcean2.6_deploy_Rev_226.rar

There are no docs, but there are sample scenes to look at. I haven't had
time lately to do much softimage work and haven't been able to update the
docs on my site to reflect the feature changes.

hope this helps in some way.

thanks
amaan

--