NoOp wrote:
On 08/13/2009 02:08 PM, chicagofan wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 08/13/2009 12:03 PM, chicagofan wrote:
I downloaded SM 2.0 and can't send mail with the SMTP settings that were
copied from my SM 1.1.14 version.  I have NO settings set for
authorization except one news server, however everything worked fine in
the old SM related to connections.

The error message says I DO have a setting now for authorization at
Charter, my ISP, which they won't accept.

Any suggestions?   I've checked and re-checked all the settings.  Maybe
there's something new I haven't found?   TIA...
bj

You'll need to post details of the smtp server settings for both along
with the _exact_ error message.

Error Message:

Sending of message failed.
An error occurred sending mail: Unable to authenticate to SMTP server
smtp.charter.net. It does not support authentication (SMTP-AUTH) but you
have chosen to use authentication. Uncheck 'Use name and password' for
that server or contact your service provider.

Charter SMTP -  Outgoing Server  =  smtp.charter.net (Default)/Port: 0/
Secure Authentication: No/Connection Security: None

Port 0? I _think_ that should be port 25 if you are not using any type
of security.

Is this what you see in the box below Outgoing Server (SMTP):Charter SMTP?:

Server Name: smtp.charter.net
Port: 25
User Name:<not specified>
Secure Authentication: No
Connection Security: None

I only have one address for SMTP Outgoing Server [as shown above].  It
is the same on all my accounts... on BOTH versions of Sea Monkey.

What next?
bj

Here's some info from my Charter User's Forum at BBR that may be useful:

Darkk
Almont, MI
┬ĚCharter Pipeline

        reply to Nikkor @ Port 25

Yes, port 25 into and out of the Charter network is blocked for residential customers.

It is not blocked internal to Charter's network, allowing full access to the Charter SMTP server.

This means that you cannot run your own SMTP server or access the SMTP servers of other ISPs on port 25 from inside the Charter network.

Either use Charter's SMTP server or determine what alternate (and secure) ports are available for your use on your alternate ISP.
2008-05-19 08:04:23

bj