Mark Hansen wrote:
On 08/13/09 15:48, chicagofan wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 08/13/09 15:19, chicagofan wrote:
Here's some info from my Charter User's Forum at BBR that may be
useful:

Darkk Almont, MI ·Charter Pipeline

reply to Nikkor @ Port 25

Yes, port 25 into and out of the Charter network is blocked for
residential customers.

It is not blocked internal to Charter's network, allowing full
access to the Charter SMTP server.

This means that you cannot run your own SMTP server or access the
SMTP servers of other ISPs on port 25 from inside the Charter
network.

Either use Charter's SMTP server or determine what alternate (and
secure) ports are available for your use on your alternate ISP.
2008-05-19 08:04:23

bj

BJ, Yes, this is normal, and not relevant to your problem. I don't
think you would get the error you're getting if you weren't talking
to their SMTP server.

It sounds like you have SeaMonkey configured to use Authentication,
and Charter doesn't want that. However, as you indicate you don't
have that set, I don't know what else it could be. Perhaps you need
to set "Use Authentication", exit SeaMonkey, then restart it and
clear that selection and see if it works.

To be sure we're talking about the same settings, go to Edit ->  Mail
&  Newsgroups Account Settings, Outgoing Server (SMTP) then select
your SMTP server and click on the Edit button.

Under Security and Authentication, make sure "Use name and password"
is not checked. Under Use secure connection, select No.

Note: I'm not using 2.0 yet, so there may be a 2.0-specific issue
here.

Best Regards,

I thought I had tried re-setting it, but now that I think about it... I
didn't see any option to use "Name and Password" anywhere.  I'll check
that again, and  restarting SeaMonkey.    Thanks!
bj

Remember that I'm not using 2.0, so your dialogs may be (and likely are)
different. However, you should still have an option to use (or not use)
a user name and password when communicating with the SMTP server. It
sounds like Charter wants you to turn this off.

Good luck.

I apparently never checked the SMTP with the *Edit* function. However, this just gets more bizarre. Both SM versions have Port 25 in the box [and beside it, locked in, Default 25]. And as the Error message is saying... there is a name and password shown for authentication.

Now tell me why my old mail program is working with identical settings? Never mind, I just changed the Port to 0, and removed the authentication on the new program, and it sent that one message. :)

I'm guessing Charter switched those settings in the old program [in one place] and it was OK as long as I continued to use *that* program. I'm saying this, because I remember it used to be 25, and I don't remember changing it. Could they have done that? I forgot to say I'm on a laptop. I don't know what my desktop has, it's been so long since I used it.

Thanks to everyone who has been patiently helping me!
bj