On 09/30/09 15:10, Ray_Net wrote:
> jnmayer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm helping a friend of mine. Until now he was using the old mozilla
>> suite... (argh!). I just installed Seamonkey 1.1.18 and have some
>> little problems when I'm sending mails with attachements. Also
>> installed on this computer is the latest GData Antivirus software
>> which scans outgoing mails.
>>
>> So now when I send a mail with a large attachement, seamonkey takes
>> some time sending the mail. But in the end the mail is not sent and I
>> get an error message (smtp server error). When I turn off the email
>> check in GData Antivirus everything works just fine.
>>
>> My friend is a little bit paranoid about computer viruses and wants to
>> ckeck outgoing mails. So what can be done to solve this problem? Is it
>> a known problem? As I said before, he was using the old mozilla which
>> did not have this problem at all.
>
> You said:
>  > the old mozilla which
>  > did not have this problem at all.
> Perhaps that GData Antivirus was not able to check an outgoing mail whne
> sent by the "old mozilla" ...
>
> Anyway, stop checking what's outgoing ... just check the inputs ...
> If you don't have an infected file reaching your computer, you cannot
> send one.

Are you so sure?

Is it not possible that his machine could have a Trojan of some sort
which has evaded detection by his virus scanner software, which may
now infect files *after* they've been copied to his machine?

I've seen this happen. This is one of the reasons why some virus
scanners check outgoing e-mail messages.

I realize it's easy to assume that virus checker software is always 100%
accurate and will find everything, but sadly this just isn't the case.
It's always a matter of percentages. The more you do, the better the
chance is that you'll evade the intruder or stop the spread of it.

Best Regards,