BeeNeR wrote:
On or about 10/1/2009 1:02 PM, Jordon typed the following:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 09/30/09 15:10, Ray_Net wrote:
jnmayer wrote:
Hi!

I'm helping a friend of mine. Until now he was using the old mozilla
suite... (argh!). I just installed Seamonkey 1.1.18 and have some
little problems when I'm sending mails with attachements. Also
installed on this computer is the latest GData Antivirus software
which scans outgoing mails.

So now when I send a mail with a large attachement, seamonkey takes
some time sending the mail. But in the end the mail is not sent and I
get an error message (smtp server error). When I turn off the email
check in GData Antivirus everything works just fine.

My friend is a little bit paranoid about computer viruses and wants to
ckeck outgoing mails. So what can be done to solve this problem? Is it
a known problem? As I said before, he was using the old mozilla which
did not have this problem at all.
You said:
 > the old mozilla which
 > did not have this problem at all.
Perhaps that GData Antivirus was not able to check an outgoing mail
whne sent by the "old mozilla" ...

Anyway, stop checking what's outgoing ... just check the inputs ...
If you don't have an infected file reaching your computer, you cannot
send one.
Are you so sure?

Is it not possible that his machine could have a Trojan of some sort
which has evaded detection by his virus scanner software, which may
now infect files *after* they've been copied to his machine?

I've seen this happen. This is one of the reasons why some virus
scanners check outgoing e-mail messages.

I realize it's easy to assume that virus checker software is always 100%
accurate and will find everything, but sadly this just isn't the case.
It's always a matter of percentages. The more you do, the better the
chance is that you'll evade the intruder or stop the spread of it.
You're saying that a trojan can slip by undetected and infect
other files which do get detected, by the same anti-virus program?

I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm no expert. I'll ask
around.

Example:
My virus data base was upgraded at 2000 yesterday.  I received a new
virus this morning at 0800 (one that was not in the data base).  My
scheduled update is at 2000 to day.  In the meantime I do not know that
I have a virus.  I will not know of the infection until I send an e-mail
after 2000 today when my outgoing mail is checked for a virus.  A lot
can happen in less than 24 hours.

Well, there is that.

--
Jordon