With patience akin to a cat's, moznews.....@calen.de, on 10/17/2009 10:56 AM
typed:
D. K. Kraft schrieb:
A) Password manager multiple requests -- I currently use a Master Password
with SM 1.1.18, set for "If it has not been used for [10] minutes or
longer," and it works as expected, with necessary requests being made within
those parameters for needed passwords on a web page or for mail access.  SM
2.0RC1 makes what appear to be random requests that have nothing to do with
actually supplying a password, including a request at start-up of only the
browser, and it doesn't appear to honor the above timeout settings.  This is
becoming *very* annoying, and from a scan of Bugzilla, there still is no fix
in the works.  What up w' dat, peeps?

Do you have Mail Biff notification activated?
Preference "Only check for new mail after opening Mail&Newsgroups" set?

Initially, no.  So I activated that right after reading your reply, and
restarted SM.  No joy.  Password manager still pops up the request box on start
of the browser alone.  (And of course, this doesn't get into the random requests
during browsing for no obvious reason.)

C) Mail and News default view -- in 1.1.18, mail/news starts up opened to my
default mail account Inbox folder in the left pane, showing the folder
contents in right pane.  2.0RC1 opens up to the main e-mail title in the
left pane, thus showing the general settings for e-mail and specific options
for the account (Email, Accounts, Advanced Features).  While the behavior of
2.0RC1 may be beneficial if a user has multiple e-mail accounts, the behavior
of 1.1.18 is preferable if a user only has one account and one Inbox.  Is
there a means to modify 2.0RC1's behavior to be like 1.1.18's, or is this a
reflection of the shift to Toolkit and just something I'll have to put up
with?

Strg+2 shows the Inbox of the default mail account here.
Preference "Remember the last selected message" unset?

Aye-firmative.  I've never used that pref in all my days of using Mozilla and
SM.  Obviously doesn't appear to influence this behavior.

Yeah, I smell create-new-profile-and-see-what-happens time.  (Sigh)  Just not
very enthused about the hack 'n test process right now...

Thanks for your ideas, though.  Appreciate the feedback --
--
     /\ /\                           | "No, Heaven will not ever Heaven be
     ^o o^    D.K. "Cat" Kraft       |  unless my cats are there to welcome