Miles Fidelman wrote:

the master password box kept getting in the way of things, and I couldn't get out of SeaMonkey without a forced quit

Needless to say, I've reverted to Seamonkey 1.x and all is working again.

Also, needless to say, I'm not willing to do a hard reset on the master password and lose all my passwords, cookies, etc.

If you weren't prompted for the master password in SeaMonkey 1.x then you probably weren't using it and you won't lose anything by resetting it. I say probably because I only know of two uses in SeaMonkey 1.x:

  1. It was used to protect client certificates (e.g. S/MIME personal
  2. There was a preference that could use it to encrypt your
     passwords. This preference was disabled by default. See
     Preferences - Privacy & Security - Passwords - Encrypting vs.

Warning: May contain traces of nuts.