On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:04:11 -0400, Uriel Carrasquilla wrote:
> Am I [...] correct in understanding that once a member in a darknet
> joins opennet then the rest of the members become opennet members?

Correct. Freenet will route through that node (any request that is not
found in the "local darknet", and vice versa, "outside" opennet searches
will hopefully penetrate into that dark corner.) That is it's main
mission -- to retrieve keys.

> I may have the wrong impression but isn't the idea of small worlds a
> concept where one of the small worlds may not want to relate to the
> rest of the (opennet) world?

Incorrect. The "small world" concept is only an assumption of the
topology of a darknet which should in theory result in better routing
than a "drunk man's walk". (Since it is assumed that more closely
related peers will also tend to have similar interests.) However, it is
up to you to actually structure it this way. You are perfectly free to
screw that assumption up by blindly adding strangers as your darknet
peers. (Opennet, at least, is able to "evolve" over time to a more
small-world topology -- not so with "static" darknets.)