On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:51:15 -0400, Uriel Carrasquilla wrote:
> Does this mean that in Darknet mode the peers are not swapped?

Correct. They're fixed. They are your trusted friends.

> OK, I can see how the constant swapping may give a malicious member
> the opportunity to build a topology of the network that would lead to
> IP addresses of nodes owned by real people.  Correct?

There is that, but they can also in theory replace all of your peers,
and thus know what keys you are downloading/uploading.

> Given that this would take quite a bit of effort and time,
> is there the possibility of putting in the network some decoy nodes
> (honey-pots) that could lead to the violators?

Sure, if you don't mind having your node seized :b.

> If I had a P2P with only 3 nodes that I own, then I would not have
> any exposures. If I have a darknet, is it through some trust that
> security can be achieved? What makes darknet so much more secure than
> opennet?

Yes -- you actually (hopefully) know and trust each of your peers,
unlike opennet strangers. I believe that is the only significant
difference. (To infiltrate a/the darknet, physical surveillance /
kidnapping / bribing / torture is necessary.)