On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 06:58:00 -0400, Uriel Carrasquilla wrote:
> I am thinking more along the lines of membership interests.  I want
> to be in the yoga darknet group but also in the tennis darknet
> group.  But if I join both, I have now bridged these two groups into
> a new yoga-tennis group.  If I was to carry this operation of members
> joining other darknet groups, eventually I end up with one single
> group, what we have today, opennet.

Yes, effectively. (Opennet behaves a little differently -- your
neighbouring peers are constantly being swapped and optimized to
approach a small-world topology.)

> What are the advantages of a darknet?

The main advantage, I believe, is security -- opennet nodes are
relatively easy to monitor and traffic-analyze, given a strong opponent
like Big Brother, by compromising your (constantly changing) opennet
peers. In darknet, they would have to physically compromise each of your
friends. Also, since opennet nodes are ... open ... all opennet node ip
addresses can in theory be listed, and blacklisted. To do this in
Darknet would require physically traversing the entire network.

> I take it faster routing (the number I heard is up to 20 members).

Maybe, although I don't think it's necessarily the number of peers that
affects this -- the number of peers you are connected to is a
limitation of your bandwidth.

> It is a predefined same-interest group (as long as no random members
> are added).

Again, I wouldn't think of things in terms of groups. There will be
cloudy clusters of common interests, but in general it's a open sea of
connections.

> I thought version 0.7 was supposed to fix the problem of anonymity
> for nodes by creating darknets with the understanding that within a
> darknet anonymity is not necessary since in theory all the members
> know each other anyway.

Darknet was implemented to fix the rather serious security issue of
opennets. (Opennet in 0.7 was only supposed to be a transitional thing,
for newbies and people not too concerned with scary opponents.)