phil,

On Tuesday, July 25, 2000, at 10:07 AM you wrote:
p> I need to have ***ALL*** these questions answered

p> History: In order to impliment S/MIME It was my understanding that
p> all one had to do was browse to thawte, apply for a key, export it
p> from the browser to a file called pfx.pfx Import pfx.pfx to the
p> VCard, Create a new contact(ie. you) under TRUSTED ROOT CA and the
p> universe S/MIME should be in harmony.

Hmmm, that's pretty much the way I did it. I followed the step-by-step
guide at <http://www.mindquake.com.br/thebat/>


p> I hear from Nick (thanks for the help BTW), there's a Private Key
p> Box?  Where? not in my Address book or the VCard

I believe the private key box is the one mentioned in the step where
you are exporting the key from the browser.

p> I hear there are some KEY ICONS, (not in my Address book or the
p> Vcard) So Where are they?

Account Properties/Edit Personal VCard/Certificates tab

See the attached key.jpg to see what it is supposed to look like (Top
entry)


p> What is the Create CSR button for?

Got me.

p> Does the Create CSR button work?

Got me.

p> Does the Create CSR button do anything at all except sit there doing
p> nothing?

Got me again! <grin>

p> How many LINES are in the box when you import your certificate?
p> Three  Lines for ea imported Certificate?  Y/n=

Yes, again, see attached key.jpg

p> The tutorial is for what Operating System--Win2k?

Worked flawlessly for me under Win98SE

p> none of the pictures in those boxes match my system.

To be honest, I didn't even really look at the pics, just followed the
text.

p> They mention Advanced Radio Buttons in MSIE. Where?

Tools/Internet Options/Content tab. Middle right side.


p> There Are only THREE Buttons in MSIE ( I stated this earlier one of
p> the three is PERSONAL Certificates)

On the above mentioned tab, I've got five buttons.

Import, Export, Remove, Advanced, and View

p> PFX, .P12 Blah - WHAT IS THE *****EXACT NAME***** THAT THE EXPORTED
p> FROM MSIE4 FILE SHOULD BE CALLED ANYWAY?

Mine saved to a .pfx


p> WHAT ABOUT IN NETSCAPE?

Only did it through IE. Can't help you here. Sorry.

p> CAN I REMOVE IE4.  EVER?

Darn good question. Seems like so much web stuff relies on IE
nowadays.

p> I was told there would be Beta/13. I wasn't told 145sm would come
p> out. I wasn't told specifically NOT to use it.

I'm using it right now (145sm), seems stable.

p> Is there just No possible way to import these Certificates on a
p> Windows 98 (original) system with IE4?

Now, here's whereI think your problem lies. You might need to do this
with IE5. I can't prove this, unless someone else has IE4 installed,
but the tutorial matched my IE5 stuff under Win98SE just fine.


p> Is something being overlooked which is specific to my setup?

See above! <grin>

p> Do I have to have an original stock Path to Thebat's HOME directory?

I doubt it. Although my configuration is the default, I wouldn't
imagine that it has anything to do with it.

p> Apparently these keys are not Free either! Why suggest we get them if
p> they are not free?

The certificate I got from Thawte is free, and I've gotten multiple
ones for multiple addresses. Maybe you mean the server certificates.
That I don't know about.

p> Somewhere(earlier on) I heard that you had to import the keys into
p> the PGP Key Manager....... Where did that thread go? Why would we
p> want to do that? (Actually I was able to get a "Webserver
p> Certificate" Imported into the PGP Key Manager, and then there was
p> an error when connecting to MIT and importing Thawte's Pgp Keys. (
p> a whole lot of keys there are I might add! ) I deleted this key.
p> Should I Have? It said something was wrong, I don't want something
p> wrong in my PGP Key's do I?

Yes, I did import my certificate into PGP keys. It went as expected,
and serves as a signing of that key. The more signers you have for a
PGP key, the more likely it will be trusted by someone who doesn't
personally know you.


p> What does my PGP KEY Manager have to do with S/MIME Anyway?
p> Nothing?
p> Everything?
p> Anything?

Trust signing. It's another notch in the belt so to say.

p> Obviously from my Taglines I originally had a 98 (original), not
p> SE, and then 98lite, and then I ran ROM II on it which totally
p> yanks out IE and I put win95 shell in (Three files), Then for
p> purposes of getting a certificate I installed IE4.

p> Could my OS have something to do with this? Can the Modifications
p> have something to do with it?


Like I said, I think it might be an IE4 problem, but 98lite and ROM II
could very well have something to do with it as well. You could try
getting a certificate on a friend's machine (with a normal install),
export the certificates, remove them from his/her browser (so they
can't use them), then take your exported certificate with you. May or
may not work, but it's worth a shot if you have a trustworthy friend.

p> Regarding Thawte:

p> Does JAVA have anything to do with it?

p> Cookies?

p> Active-X?

All this stuff is enabled on my machine, so I can't tell you.

p> Other Already EXISTING Security Certificates inside the browser?

Got me, these are the first certificates I've gotten.


p> Regarding Requesting Certificates:

p> Has anyone got any key other than the default key?

Nope, I got error trying to obtain non-default keys.

p> Has anyone got any key other than the key on the TOP of the drop
p> down menu?

Nope.

p> Is anyone else having problems still?

p> Am I the only one now?

p> Should there be more questions in this list?

Wish I could tell you something else, but I think your install of
Windows and IE is the problem. Don't know why it won't work with
Netscape, but I don't use it.

Hope something here helped.


Leif Gregory 

--  
TBUDL/TBBETA List Moderator
ICQ 216395 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web Site   <http://www.pcwize.com>
TBUDL FAQ  <http://www.pcwize.com/thebat/faq.shtml>

Using The Bat! 1.45 S/MIME under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A  
on a Pentium III 500 MHz notebook with 128MB.

Tagline of the day:
 A BIG ROCK>>>>>>me<<<<<<A HARD PLACE

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------
View the TBBETA archive at http://tbbeta.thebat.dutaint.com
To send a message to the list moderation team double-click HERE:
   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To Unsubscribe from TBBETA, double-click HERE:
   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--------------------------------------------------------------


You are subscribed as : [email protected]


Reply via email to