Hello Charles!

On Friday, June 11, 2004, 8:08 AM, you wrote:

MB>> ... non-responding [attachment] icons in [The Bat!].

My problem was solved last night when Urban suggested that I delete my
TEMP files. With the help of several others, we got the clue that an
excess of them might be causing the problem. Still others helped me
find the path to those bat.tmp files in my WinXP Home operating system.
There were 88 of them, all empty. As soon as I moved them out of the
TEMP folder, all attachment icons in my messages responded normally.
So I then deleted the 88 bat.tmp files.

In the future, deleting .tmp files is going to be one of my regular
computer housekeeping chores. :)

CMG> I'm a new user. .2 was my first (about 5 weeks ago). Bought it a week
CMG> ago and installed the new beta.

Be sure to bring any and all problems here. There are subscribers here
who will stay with you until your problem is fixed or another source
of help is thought of. The TB! discussion lists are among the best
things available in using TB!, I think.

Thank you again, also, for writing to me. It helped my morale a lot to
hear that I was not alone. Although, of course, it's quite possible
that your difficulties don't have the same cause as mine.

MB>> So that's all my latest info. What do you think?

CMG> That it's too hard to figure out how to do it. ...

Yes, but the rewards are great in the end. I have been using The Bat!
for something over a year-and-a-half now. I came to it with minimal
computer skills and installed it on a Win95 OS. Generous people on
this list have been my tutors in nearly everything.

CMG> ... However, I chose the bat because it uses plaintext /and/ has
CMG> a graphical user interface. Or else, I'd still be using mutt.

That's why I picked it. And I'm still a plain-text person. I just turn
the new smileys on occasionally for fun. But too much color on my
screen is distracting, and HTML often physically hurts my eyes.

Additionally, and as my first reason, I picked The Bat! for its
safety. I can view my messages on the server and delete those I don't
want to download. It has its own code for everything and I'm not at
risk from the Internet Explorer core that Outlook Express uses. Well,
the advantages are too many to list here, where everyone values
sticking to the point and being as brief as possible.

Delete your TEMP files if you need to? Tell us all here what happens
then? And thanks again for writing!

CMG> No attachments or mime, no virii. Never had that sort of trouble on
CMG> the Mac.

All Mac users love the Mac, I think. But once involved with Windows, I
have found it hard to leave. I hope all your difficulties with The
Bat! find solutions soon. :)

Mary

The Bat! 2.11.02 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1