Maybe you should put it not simply. USB already works as described with many
apps, utilities and tools. For example, with QuickTime Broadcaster the user
selects a device, a codec and a destination. With USB sound inputs or outputs
the user can select drivers and encoders from preferences or within apps.
Command line tools on systems other than Apple offer tools for selecting
devices, encoding and destinations, which Apple offers in tools available in
QuickTime or in the I/OKit.

Sent from my iPad