> And as long as there isn't at least a (graphics) card that supports
> decoding the "good old" MPEG2 in a quality that is at least as good
> as that of the FF DVB cards, as well as decoding H.264/HDTV in *hardware*,
> this whole area has next to no priority for me. I am not interested in
> software decoding this stuff - I don't want to have an extra heater
> in my living room ;-)

That is interesting thread to read, thanks to Morfsta that said that
many others wanted to say already long time ago :)

I think that Morfsta's main point isn't any specific feature of VDR
like HD support. The point is VDR's development model itself. It is
closed now. Patches are not the answer to this problem. Developers have
to be very motivated to maintain patches from version till version. As
you see, MUCH patches are already died, not because nobody wants them,
because it's hard to maintain them for years.

Klaus, you are doing the great job! But I think VDR now is much more
than your own hobby/job/lack of software for your personal needs and hardware.
Big
part of VDR's community also want to "own" it. By ownership I mean
here decision making and commiting to CVS/SVN/HG. Current development
model looks like dictatorship model :) If you allow to commit improvements
to VDR by other authorized devs, such things as UTF8 support were in
VDR since 1.3.* I think :) I belive VDR and VDR's community will gain
a lot from this.

Imagine if Linus Torvalds were the only man, who were decision maker
in kernel's development. I belive linux never become so popular
because of being always 2 steps backward of current community's needs.