Ditto for the Sears inclinometer.  Put the car up on 4 jack stands as
level as possible, measured on the tunnel near the handbrake. Write down the
inclinometer measurements for each unloaded springplate before further
disassembly, in addition to scribing 'angle-of-the-dangle' marks on the
frame horns.

  Don't nick, scratch, hammer or damage the paint coating on the torsion bar
itself.  (The coating's color won't be orange on every car.)  This is a
finely-forged, heat-treated, highly-stressed, critical part and won't
tolerate any such abuse without eventually causing it to fail prematurely.
It should last longer than the expected life of the vehicle without snapping
even though it's under millions of cycles of severe twisting strain in both
directions, while supporting heavy weight and sustaining bone-jarring shock
loads. Clean and libe the splines for easy insertion and removal to assist
with your vernier adjusting procedure.  Touch-up paint scratchs or chips to
prevent corrosion from attacking your highly-stressed members.  Any surface
defect will eventually cause a stress-riser to propagate, ultimately causing
failure of the spring.

  There's a different number of splines on the inner and outer ends, that's
how they engineered a 'vernier' fine-tune adjustment for ride hieght.  (BTW,
type 3's have these in the front axle beam also, which makes them infinitely
adjustable, unlike the 'square' torsion leaves in the bug and bus front
beams, which won't adjust at all.

Silicone grease should be fine for lubing the inner and outer donuts, inside
and out.

  If the torsion bar gets stuck inside the springplate, you can remove the
peened-in metal end cap and punch or press it out for adjusting purposes.
You don't need to MIG-weld the cap back on, just re-peen with center punch
or chisel to retain it as original.

  After doing this job both ways, I don't recommend using a floor jack and
chain.  The VW tire jack with a long bolt welded on top, or the CIP1 tool is
much safer and easier, plus there's not so much stuff to have to work
around.

 This procedure is 'nearly' identical for older swingaxle vehicles, busses,
things, KG's, Porsches and Type 3's, single or double springplates.

  2 longer-than-original bolts, installed diagonally, will get the housing
cover started together until the original shorter bolts will catch a few
threads.  Then just remove the longer bolts, and replace them with the
remaining original, shorter bolts and tighten them all evenly.  I think this
is better than the 'headless bolt' method.

  Spray all nuts and bolts down a few times the day before, with a good
quality penetrant such as PB Blaster.  WD-40 is not the best for this job,
but is better than nothing.  Don't even attempt to start loosening things up
dry; you're just asking for trouble.  Be sure to lube the torsion housing
bolts, shock mount bolts/ nuts and springplate bolts/ nuts as a minimum.  If
you need to be disassembling further, also do the axle nuts, inner and outer
cv bolts, brake flex lines/ retaining clips, inner IRS trailing arm bolts,
backing plate bolts, and the e-brake cable clip bolts.

  If you do completely remove the 2 torsion bars, they're marked L and R on
thier outer ends.  Don't swap them side for side.

HTH,

Mike B.

)