Thanks for your reply Dave. *THIS* is the grass-roots info I'm looking for and when I mentioned to my wife about snagging another state we've never been to, she jumped on it. I said told her you might have a place to sleep in a shed and she was even more on board! I know I didn't mention anything about her coming along so if that's a no-go, no worries - we can always spring for a motel. She's so onboard infact she's already looking for what days she can take off for the trip. I'm going to take you up on this and plan to be a PIYA for a day or 2 while I take notes, pictures, and soak it all up. You have all the beer coming to you that you want plus some money because I really appreciate you helping me on this. I told Enid (my wife) that when I start working on her beetle, I want that engine to be a 1600DP with FI so that she doesn't have to monkey around with chokes and so forth. She's never driven anything with a carburetor and in fact has driven more in the USA than she ever did growing up in Australia due to public transportation. So if you can handle hearing the Aussie accent for awhile then get your questions ready and she'll be glad to answer.

Concerning your setup, I had read that you could do a cheap method of creating the pressurized fuel pump ring by installing a T-fitting underneath the tank and also back at the engine so that the excess pressure can just recirculate without having to add another spigot on the tank. Kind of a lazy way, but I was told it works.

With a dual FI setup, I would expect to have to syncrhonize both sides to get the airflow adjusted properly and fiddling around with a laptop doesn't bother me. I just don't want the bother of dorking with carbs.

We own a 1995 Mexican beetle that we towed home from KC about 6 or 7 years ago. It has the stock FI that they came with in Mexico and it was another minor goal of mine to reverse-engineer that setup so that I could copy it. As it turns out, next year that beetle is 25 years old and I can license it for use on the road and fully intend to. I had heard that the stock FI detuned the engine down to 48hp so I wasn't all too keen about that, so if I could do a homebrew setup that wouldn't leave me having to learn Spanish so as to get my replacement parts ordered, I'd rather go that way.

As far as running an additional metal fuel line, I'm sure I could figure out how to run it through the tunnel or even along the brake line on the floor in the car. That is a bit of work yes, but to me that's a piece of cake that is far easier to eat than monkeying with dual carbs.

With the wiring and GM crimp tool - that's the kind of stuff I need to know.

NQ, count on about a 10% power increase with FI.
Loving it even more.

150hp from a 1776cc and I assume with a turbo - not a bad deal at all. I had thought about a super charger years ago. Build a bullet proof bottom end and then brute force the power with a super charger or turbo.

Yes, there is a learning curve but once you understand the fuel is
delivered based on throttle position, rpm, map, o2 sensor(and the fuel
table)...you are done.

The learning curve doesn't bother me if I have someone to help me through it. I appreciate this like you wouldn't believe. In fact, if you decide to do this as some kind of seminar, you may end up with a little gathering of people if you're open to it. I know others wish to learn this stuff too.

Enid and I live in Beatrice, NE so we are not far from you at all. We can be in NW Arkansas in a touch over 6 hours.

If you're serious about the offer then I can be reached at moc.enecirtaeb@tnelis (which is my email backwards) and we can make the plans off-list.

Cheers!  (Very Aussie/Brit of you.)

NQ

Glad to be back on the list...

--
Visit the VintagVW archives at
http://www.mail-archive.com/vintagvw@googlegroups.com
        • ... 'Timothy Osburn' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
      • ... No Quarter
        • ... Mike Morehouse
        • ... Jeffrey Bateman
        • ... Dave C. Bolen
  • Re: ... No Quarter
    • ... Kirin Jacobsen
      • ... No Quarter
    • ... Dave C. Bolen
      • ... No Quarter
      • ... 'Bruce Howard' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
        • ... Dave C. Bolen
          • ... No Quarter
        • ... No Quarter
          • ... Dean Johnson
            • ... 'Timothy Osburn' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
              • ... No Quarter
              • ... Dave C. Bolen
  • Re: ... 'Rayvwbug' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
    • ... No Quarter