Awesome recipe Dave! You’ve got me hunting parts now, thanks!

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 10:20 AM, Dave C. Bolen <dbo...@shockwaverider.com> wrote:
>
> NQ,
>
> Longish on FI.
>
> The 68 has been running megasquirt for 14 years.  After I replaced the
> pistons and cylinders I decided to leave the turbo off to be able to get
> to places that I plan to update(edis and wide band o2 instead of narrowband).
>
> Works just fine that way although I did retune it a little as the AAC p&c
> appear to work much better than the old Mahle's.
>
> My setup...
> CB FI intakes with 28lb/hr CB high Z injectors(no resistor pack needed).
> CB FI rails
> 78 bus pressure regulator(replaced with better Holley adjustable regulator).
> 78 bus(2 L) throttle body(somewhat modified).
> 78 bus fuel pump and gas filter.
> megasquirt from the second group buy(BTW the CPU on it now hitting EOL(End of
> life) but I have spares).
> DISx ignition cause I use their tach output module for a clean injection
> signal.
> Narrow band o2 sensor.
> Intake manifold air temp sensor and engine temp sensor(not oil).
> Throttle position sensor.
>
> THIS IS a BLOW THRU setup when I get the turbo back on it.  No blow off valve
> needed.  Oh and the turbo stuff started out with a lobuget carb setup.
>
> No spark control yet
> NQ, there are sample fuel maps out there for VW guys galore(and mine).
>
> Ok, here is the hard part.  Like anything with a diy setup and a computer,
> you are going to want to fiddle with it.  Tune from the front seat with a
> laptop.  Log a test run and then feed it to a piece of software that will
> adjust the Fuel table for you.
>
> Oh, and from the logging, I know it takes me about 4/10ths of  second to
> shift<lol>.
>
> The biggest part of it is running the fuel line and the return back in to the
> tank.  Some easy ways around that and in a bus you don't have to go
> far....but you must have a fuel ring(hi pressure gas).
>
> THen there is the wiring.  Not too bad but you need the tool to do
> crimps on GM weatherpack connector pins.
>
> NQ, count on about a 10% power increase with FI.
>
> My 1776 with turbo and meqaquirt is just awesome, no fall off in power
> in 4th gear(in cool weather).  VERY streetable but there when you want it and
> guessing about 150hp in anything less than 90 degree weather.
>
> Yes, there is a learning curve but once you understand the fuel is delivered
> based on throttle position, rpm, map, o2 sensor(and the fuel table)...you are
> done.
>
> Want to come to North West Arkansas in the spring?<grin>
> I teach for beer<grin>.
> Got a brand new 1200 sq foot shop and a place to sleep.
>
> Cheers, dave
>

>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, No Quarter wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave.  Thanks for your reply!  You analogy about relatives picking up
>> from where they left off from is perfect.  That's what this is.  :)
> [...]

        • ... Mike Morehouse
        • ... Jeffrey Bateman
        • ... Dave C. Bolen
  • Re: ... No Quarter
    • ... Kirin Jacobsen
      • ... No Quarter
    • ... Dave C. Bolen
      • ... No Quarter
      • ... 'Bruce Howard' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
        • ... Dave C. Bolen
          • ... No Quarter
        • ... No Quarter
          • ... Dean Johnson
            • ... 'Timothy Osburn' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
              • ... No Quarter
              • ... Dave C. Bolen
  • Re: ... 'Rayvwbug' via VintagVW - Air Cooled Volkswagen Discussion List
    • ... No Quarter
    • ... Lloyd McClelland