Howdy Horace,
Anyone aware of the huge dead spot in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisana must be concerned. This problem is primarily caused by runoff into the Mississippi river and it's tributaries. There are remedies.

We, as a nation, have few remedies for air pollution in China and India, except as an avenue for Al Gore, et.al. to make some money selling carrbon credits.

US coal fired power plants are a major source of our air pollution, Locally, the Fayette Power Plants( State owned) are finally addressing "ole smoky" by installing a new smokestack with scrubbers. It has been 28 years of promises by the state of Texas. Blah Blah..Meanwhile private industry plants were forced by the state to clean up their act years ago.
Our government in action.
Richard