*Russ’s popper experimentation has shown some useful engineering details
regarding systems that use arching in a hydrogen atmosphere.*

* *

*The popper will become contaminated with tungsten powder after a
relatively small number of arc discharges are done by Thoriated Tungsten
Electrodes at high pulsed voltage.*

* *

*One theory about the cause of this tungsten erosion is that very high
temperatures produced on the surface of the tungsten electrode vaporize the
metal.*

* *

*
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tandfonline.com%2Fdoi%2Fabs%2F10.1080%2F09507119209548203&ei=NWZ4UP_wI4_h0wHv7ICYBA&usg=AFQjCNFpzc-m6JddiXhQuTpwzh7UcZ7tPA&sig2=XNBN7NejJpiSQjFHs65oIg
*

* *

* *

*But Russ’s experiments speak against this theory because no erosion of the
tungsten electrodes occurs when the arc happens in a helium envelope.*

* *
*There must be some other mechanism going on where hydrogen blows off or
chemically alters the tungsten during electrode arcing.*
**
*This testing has value for other like systems.*

* *

*In energy systems like those being developed by DGT, this electrode
contamination could be an issue in regards to the life of spark plugs
running in hydrogen over a long period of time.*

* *
*First the spark plugs will have a greatly reduced service life, and
second, the electrode metal will contaminate the catalytic processes inside
the reactor as more and more erosion occurs.  *
**
**
*Cheers:    Axil*

* *