Ed,

Thanks for your reply.

Your statement may be correct.

I am looking for overlooked explanations for paradoxical LENR experiments.

The Feynman Lecture reference I cited at the start of this thread shows
that electrons in electric arcs can pick up significant linear momentum as
current is interrupted.  Due to their small mass, this extra momentum can
give electrons a relativistic increase in kinetic energy, and so more mass.

This quite counter-intuitive, since kinetic energy is normally defined
in terms of velocity.  High kinetic energy particles normally move
- fast. However, because the electron momentum is defined by a differential
operator, an immobile electron wave packet can gain kinetic energy by
becoming more localized, and having a more oscillatory envelop.

Perhaps this happens when an arcing electron collides with a proton,
deuteron or triton which experiences an equal, opposite momentum 'kick'
as the current stops.

The deuteron and triton have obvious structure.  The proton does also since
it is a 'quark bag'.  Possibly this structure is enough to trap an
immobile (lab frame) colliding electron whose momentum is ramping up.
K-shell electron capture is another conjecture.

I checked my math.  I think it is correct.

This is also related to "hidden" field momentum, which manifests itself in
the "Feynman disk/cylinder (pseudo-)paradoxes."

I believe that a similar analysis can be done for strong local transient
coulomb forces in plasmons.

All just a waste of time, if there really are no LENR transmutations, tho.

-- Lou Pagnucco