Yes, there should be some connection between items and lexemes, but I am
still hazy about details on how exactly this should look like. If someone
could actually make a strawman proposal, that would be great.

I think the connection should live in the statement space, and not be on
the level of labels, but that is just a hunch. I'd be happy to see
proposals incoming.