Hoi,
It does make sense to link it to labels for many reasons.
* Every word can safely exist in a dictionary, in Wikidata.. Typically
names are not included in a dictionary but they could.
* Labels are written based on the rules and exceptions of a language. These
are different in every language and sometimes even within dialects. The way
content is displayed in a dictionary differs from country to country as
well.
* Concepts are not very stable and the writing a label in a language is not
stable either. The one thing that binds them is the label; often a change
in a label and a change in the concept go together.
* Synonyms differ in label not in concept.

I REALLY wonder why you think you can do this with statements.. In my
opinion you can not do that without sacrifice.
Thanks,
      GerardM