I spent a good deal of time speaking to Martin Stewart of Adzilla today. Here is the way it all works.

The system has three completely different ways of presenting advertising or messages of any kind to customers.

First, if you are an ISP and you wish to be able to sell ads on CNN, Weather.com, etc. then this is the only way to go. Your cable company does this with the same equivalent system known as cable ad insertion. This is a win-win-win for all concerned. The advertising networks have trouble focusing ads to a given customer service area generally. With this system you can replace a generic "Ford" ad on CNN.com for instance with the local Ford dealer in your market. The advertising company who sells ads for CNN gets paid, Adzilla gets paid to insert the ad, you get paid for selling to the local dealer and for presenting it to his potential customers in his local area.

It is important to note that the above option is the major strength and novel approach that Adzilla brings to the table above any other form of web advertising. In my opinion it represents the only true all around positive way of selling advertising online. If it works as advertised I am 100% sold on this concept.

Second, you can use Adzilla as a means of selling ads as banners inserted at the top of a web window above the content page. This is not something that would be appealing to most WISPs who are not wanting to alter the web experience for a customer. This does not mean that Adzilla would force this on you. You would have the option of using this second option or not. This would be ideal for a free hotspot area where ads would be the only revenue stream. I think this would work well in common areas, conference locations, coffee shops, etc. who wanted to offer free Wifi and did not mind if ads were inserted. I would consider that for a free hotspot area in some instances.

I can see one place where this would be a big help to my business. That would be for past due accounts. I would not have a problem with inserting a friendly past due reminder at the top of web pages as opposed to just turning off their service at least for a few days. I bet this would equate to faster payments and less non-pay disconnects.

Third, this is called interstitial insertion and is a bit aggressive. This option allows for content relevant pages to appear between a search entry and the intended page. This would give very targeted advertising to a potential ad client but would be intrusive beyond any comfort level I would have. With that said though I could see that in a walled garden free Wifi deployment this model would be acceptable. You could offer links to either ad supported free Wifi access or a credit card online form to buy the "no advertising" access. I really see this as being a positive way to offer choice to your potential clients.

Choices like this would be great for me if I were in a strange town, needed to check email, wanted to know what the local restaurants were around the hotspot, wanted to see a local map with businesses in the area, etc. At that point the ads start to actually build value. This is when advertising becomes part of the relevant content to the customer. I intend to deploy this in a positive way and show it off to not only my local businesses but also the local city government, state government, customers, etc. I will make my downtown a hotspot that everyone enjoys visiting online. I think it will also make me some money in the long run.
Scriv

Blair Davis wrote:

If I publish a web page, who are you to modify it before displaying it to a user?

I'd start getting annoyed if my web page displayed differently depending on whose network it flows thru....

I also feel that this is a bad idea in general because I think it could end up weakening the 'safe harbor' provisions that protect us from liability over data content. We are not censors. Beyond the monitoring needed to assure network integrity, we do not monitor or censor our users in any way and we do not plan to.

IMO, we should not modify the data flowing to the user in any way without the express, informed consent of the user. If a user wants you to censor, modify or block pages, fine.... if you wish to offer that service. For liability reasons, we choose not to.

Eric DaVersa wrote:

Agreed, but there is a free lunch...for the web publishers and ad
servers you allow to sell over your pipes.
Take the old example of the Internet as a highway.  You've built a
highway (your wireless network) and people (your customers) pay to drive
on it. Along the way there are billboard advertisements (web ads.)
You collect nothing from the billboards that people view.  In essence,
the advertisers get a free lunch from your highway.

Adzilla basically gives you the opportunity to place your own billboards
in front of those existing billboards so that you, as the highway
operator, can receive a revenue share.

Mark, I don't mean to pick on you here and I apologize if my replies
come off as arrogant or inappropriate in any way.  I appreciate your
questioning and "devil's advocate" approach.  These lists are certainly
good for digging through the facts.

Peter R. sent an email for those interested in participating in a
webinar.  Also, an Adzilla exec will be at WISPNOG.

Respectfully,

Eric DaVersa
Vice-President, Business Development
NetLogix