  From: Andrew Maben
  To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [WSG] add to favorites?

  I am not so arrogant as to even wish to speak for "this list", but on my own
account I'll say that this question is disingenuous. Obviously our work
constantly involves balancing requirements. An important part of that balancing
act is to provide the benefit of our expertise to stakeholders. And painful as
it may be, part of that includes educating people who do not yet understand
that this truly is a "new medium" and as such all too often old approaches are
irrelevant or counter-productive - e.g. in spite of a growing body of evidence
on "banner blindness", naive site owners often still want banner-like graphics.

  In the context of the given question (and no you don't need to explain
"marketing" to me - I've worked in advertising for 20+ years) the "call to
action" falls *outside* the "vendor" environment (the site) and into the
"customer" environment (the browser). As mentioned by others, this
functionality is *already available* to any user, should s/he choose.

  Having said that, I would suggest to the client that this is at best
unhelpful, at worst intrusive. But there are simple ways to encourage a user to
share the site on delicious, facebook, etc. and these provide value to both
"vendor" and "customer" - and are not limited to a subset of browsers, and can
be standards-compliant.

  Andrew

  www.andrewmaben.net
  and...@andrewmaben.com

  "In a well designed user interface, the user should not need instructions."

  (Forgive me if this duplicates the prior version)