At 3:00 PM +0100 5/6/07, infrahile wrote:
On 6 May 2007, at 14:51, tedd wrote:

No offense meant to the Yojimbo programmers, but this is an example of how a programmer thinks that s/he knows what the user needs as compared to what the user actually wants.

Well, not necessarily, there are all sorts of more likely explanations than arrogant programmers. Also, when you say 'what the user actually wants' you really mean 'what I and a few others here actually want' - I'm perfectly happy with the creation date as it is because it allows me to see when the entry was created in Yojimbo - in that sense, the creation date refers not to the source document, but to the new Yojimbo item. I do see your point, but this strikes me as overly harsh criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I've been programming for over 40 years and my comments are not meant to sound harsh or paint programmers as arrogant. But from experience, programmers think about the data and not necessarily how user will use it -- that's why GUI is like a new (anything that is less than 20 years old is new to me) science to programming. First, solve the problem and then make it easy for the user. Sometimes there's a disconnect between how the user is going to use the data and how the programmer expects the data to be used -- that's a fact -- I've been there too many times myself to claim any different.

However, once a need is known, then programmers can certainly comply. It's not a question of harshness or arrogance, it's just one of ignorance (not meant in a bad way). If you don't know that something is needed, then it's not a bad thing until you don't do anything about it after you learn.

Hey, Yojimbo is the best product on the market, that's why I use it. But, as Will Rogers once said "You may be on the right track, but you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------