--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "czerlinskyt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have noticed that difference between half and full lotus myself.
Most of
> the time I sit half just because that position allows me to sit for
a hour
> at a time.  I have only recently (within the past 6 months or so)
been able
> to achieve full-lotus and can only go about 20-30 minutes before I
feel like
> I need to get some blood flowing.  I do notice, though, that full-
lotus
> seems to be a much more stable position and allows for breath that
may be
> more natural than sitting in half.  Full-lotus requires less minor
> adjustments and alignments during meditation, ie: more stillness.
>
> It seems to me in the West full-lotus is not emphasized strictly,
due to the
> fact that most people in the US are not generally quite as flexible
as other
> places where Yoga and meditation are more commonly used.  Many
Westerners
> simply don't bend that way, and it's damaging to force oneself into
> position.  In order for many to achieve full lotus, it takes a few
years of
> cautious stretching in order to be able to not overstrain ones-self
and get
> a messed up ankle or knee.
>
> Keep stretching your ankles, knees and hips in order to sit longer
and more
> comfortably in full-lotus.  However, be very careful about how you
go about
> it.  Torn knee cartilage may be a very painful and difficult thing
> overcome =)  It's always best to consult a yogi of some sort, and
allow
> yourself patience to achieve that goal.

Oh and I wanted to mention that my best description of half vs. full
lotus is that full lotus is "easier from the waist up."  Half lotus
is more physically comfortable, but I think I have been becoming to
complacent and comfortable in my sitting, so this seems to actually
be a good thing.

reading! Talk about it today!
Yahoo! Groups Links