Thank all 23 postings.

I have some very interesting observation.

It seems to me that spirituality is defined by most posts as a "personal spiritual experience."  And this experience is quite  different from one to the other.  And everyone in the Zen community seems to agree that there is spirituality in Zen.

I have also learnt, as Adrian pointed out, Asian spirituality is part of every day life, while Western separate the physical one from the spiritual one. (i.e. I am going to be spiritual now) That is very true, because  western philosophers are not popular among common Asians. Very few heard of Socrates to Sartre.  Chinese don't live in philosophical terminology.

Chinese have heard of mostly LaoTzu, ChuangTzu, Confucius and Buddha.  They all contain some spirituality.  No wonder this word does not show up readily in China.

Also, as Bill pointed out, I believe the word "spirituality" may be Judeo-Christian in nature.  The questioner is trying to compare the two.  Because in China, ghost stories, reincarnations, going to hell are bed time stories. I grew up by listening to my grandma those stories. Even those who probably don't have "personal spiritual experience", still may believe or expect such experience. I come to realize that basic Chinese culture is tainted with some spirituality. Or you may call it superstition.

So interesting to learn that one can live a certain life style and don't have the word and awareness to describe it.

Namaste,
Donald

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2ยข/min or less. __._,_.___

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS