--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "dkotschessa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, donald hwong <donaldhwong@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thank all 23 postings.
> >
> >  I have some very interesting observation.
> >
> >  It seems to me that spirituality is defined by most posts as
> a "personal spiritual experience."  And this experience is quite
> different from one to the other.  And everyone in the Zen community
> seems to agree that there is spirituality in Zen.
> >
> >  I have also learnt, as Adrian pointed out, Asian spirituality is
> part of every day life, while Western separate the physical one
from
> the spiritual one. (i.e. I am going to be spiritual now) That is
very
> true, because  western philosophers are not popular among common
> Asians. Very few heard of Socrates to Sartre.  Chinese don't live
in
> philosophical terminology.
> >
> > Chinese have heard of mostly LaoTzu, ChuangTzu, Confucius and
> Buddha.  They all contain some spirituality.  No wonder this word
> does not show up readily in China.
> >
> > Also, as Bill pointed out, I believe the word "spirituality" may
be
> Judeo-Christian in nature.  The questioner is trying to compare the
> two.  Because in China, ghost stories, reincarnations, going to
hell
> are bed time stories. I grew up by listening to my grandma those
> stories. Even those who probably don't have "personal spiritual
> experience", still may believe or expect such experience. I come to
> realize that basic Chinese culture is tainted with some
spirituality.
> Or you may call it superstition.
> >
> > So interesting to learn that one can live a certain life style
and
> don't have the word and awareness to describe it.
> >
> > Namaste,
> > Donald
> >

> > ---------------------------------
> > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US
(and
> 30+ countries) for 2ยข/min or less.
>
> To draw a thread through the Judeo-Christian concept and Buddhism,
> like the idea Thich Naht Hahn proposed in "Living Buddha, Living
> Christ."  He basically equates "the holy spirit" to a person is
> mindful.  I have been reading the new Testament and it actually
fits
> rather well.  Stretch your thinking a bit to accomodate the obvious
> differences in terminology:
>
> Romans
> 8: 9 But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are
> controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in
you.
> (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ
living
> in them do not belong to him at all.)10 And Christ lives within
you,
> so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives
> you life* because you have been made right with God.11 The Spirit
of
> God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you...
>
> 8:12 Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation
> do what your sinful nature urges you to do.13 For if you live by
its
> dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you
> put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live.

> To me this is identical with the instructions given to us by the
> Buddha.  Be mindful and do what is skillful.  Don't do what is not
> skillful.  The "spirit" is the energy of mindfulness.  They call it
> spirit, we just call it being mindful, or don't call it anything!
>
> You know what else is cool, is that in Hebrew the word for Spirit
is
> the same for the word for "wind."  We can think of "wind" as breath
> if we want.  It all comes back to the breath!

It's a "stretch" all right.  I find the "Buddhism teaches the same
thing as Christianity" idea an exercise in political correctness that
is corrosive to the teachings in both traditions.  They get watered
down to the least common denomonator.  I think we should just let
each tradition speak for itself.

Ian