Mike,
I always enjoy your posts, thank you.  Even though I no longer
practice, I still believe deeply in the Zen existence. And, no, I
have not been listening to Al. Al should understand that if you
detach yourself from your Ego through these 'mind-numbing' practices
you will be a better person, more in-tune with the world around you
and enabling you to be an agent of change or positive influence to
others.  I was just trying to point out one of the differences
between Chan and Zen. In my reading of Bill's response to JM's
explanation on Chi, I felt he was just dismissing as symmantics, but
I was trying to relate my experience with Energy in Zen is the real
and true experience of Chi in Chan. The difference being JM
acknowledges and consciously uses this Kundalini energy in his
practice, where we can acknowledge it in Zen, but we do not let it
affect our concentration.

Thank You,
          Chris

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
> Whilst sitting on my vipassana retreat I experienced many instances
of energy rushing up my spine (kundalini), mind expansion, loss of
physical/mental boundaries reuslting in feelings of oceanic bliss and
even one occassion where I became nothing but a body of minute, blue
paricles. I also experienced tremendous amounts of physical pain,
boredom and daydreaming. Both positive and negative experiences are
important but only in as much as they lead to the realisation/insight
that they are just phenonema/maya. Your teacher was correct - just
sit thru them with equanimity and don't crave them or push them away.
This insight can then be applied to your everyday life where you can
accept things as they are and not try to control the uncontrollable.
This does not mean that you live life in some kind of numb, zombie
like existence (you listening Al?), but experience reality directly
as it is without adding a subjective commentary created by a
turbulent/fical
>  mind. Mike.

Zen.