Al et al,

I was bothered all night because I SCREWED UP when I added the
mapping from the 'Mountain' saying to the 10 Oxherding stages.  I
added them at the last minute before posting and should have thought
more before doing so.

So, now that I do have that morning cup of tea in front of me, I'll
correct that.

The 'Mountain' saying starts off BEFORE any enlightenment experience:

First there is a mountain,
This is meant to describe your experience of dualism.  There is me
and there is a mountain.
This first verse would corrspond to before 1 of the Ox Herding
pictures to about picture 3 or 4, or the period before you have
experience non-duality.

Then there is no mountain,
This describes non-duality.
It would correspond to the Ox Herding pictures 4 or 5 to 8.

Then there is.
This describes the integration of an enlighented being back into the
world, where you can remain grounded in direct experience of reality
(JUST THIS!), but also function in the world of illusions (maya)
WITHOUT BECOMING ATTACHED to them.

So, the new and improved, and tea-enabled matrix is:

First there is a mountain, (oxhearding prior-to-1 to 4 or 5)
Then there is no mountain, (oxherding 4 or 5 to 8)
Then there is.             (oxherding 9 and 10)

Okay!  I feel better now!  I think I'll have another cup of tea...

...Bill!

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Al,
>
> You're asking very difficult questions.
>
> I'll pass for now on the one about 'What is the point of living a
> good life if it means nothing and has no value?'.  I'll only say
now
> that although I don't worry about a point or a meaning to living, I
> wouldn't say life has no value.
>
> I'd like to instead go back a few posts to your question about JUST
> THIS being 'Zombie Zen'.  I only answered that I thought that you
> were selling JUST THIS short, and that it had a lot more richness
> than you thought.  After mulling this over for a while I remembered
> the 10 Oxherding Pictures and Verses, and direct you to them.  You
> can Google 'zen oxherding' and you'll get a lot of links.  (Make
sure
> you get the 10 version and not the 8 version, at least to synch up
> with this posting.)
>
> In case you're not familar with these, they depict the journey to
> enlightenment in 10 stages or pictures, each with its own verse.
(I