Thank you Bill. I was merely stating that I agree with your
definition of satori.  My other remarks were referencing Edgar's
post about satori, no satori.  I felt he was stating that there is
no such thing as satori, it is all an illusion, and I know where he
is coming from... but how can you say there is no such thing if it
can be defined and experienced?

Also, I agree, how can one be a 'little' enlightened?  But maybe
one can experience a glimpse of this awakening, without being fully
awake!

I still have a hard time separating Zen and Buddhism, even though I
have always believed 100% in the Zen philosophy, while not fully
encompassing the Buddhist religion.

Thank You,

Chris

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Smart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chris, et al,
>
> I'm not saying that I beleive 'satori' is real - it is maya.  Your
> self is maya and all those things that occlude your Buddha Nature
> (Just THIS!) are maya.  I was merely answering some questions
about
> what the Japanese term 'satori' means, and how it is used in
Japanese
> Zen Buddhist practice.
>
> The idea that there is a 'little enlightenment' and a 'medium
> enlightenment' and a 'big enlightenment', etc..., has always
bothered
> me a little bit, but in practice it doesn't matter.
>
> The truth of it is that you do seem to awaken to your Buddha
> Nature 'suddenly' (after maybe a lot of preparation), and the
first
> time that happens it is not 'full' and is not 'permanent'.  That
has
> been my experience and the experience of many others I know, and
is
> also the premise on which Japanese Zen Buddhism structures it's
> teachings.  There are even 'breakthrough' koans (like Mu or One
Hand
> Clapping), and more 'refining' koans (like Dried Shit on a Stick
and
> Mouse Bowl is Broken).
>
> As I hope most of you who read this forum know I do not promot
> Japanese Zen Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, Chan Buddhism or even
Buddhism.
> I testify to what I call 'zen' (lower case 'z') which is a much
more
> generic practice leading to the realization of Just THIS! (Buddha
> Nature), and the continual integration of that perspective into
daily
> life.  I do use a lot of Buddhist and Japanese terms because that
is
> how I was first introduced to and was taught zen.
>
> ...Bill!
>
> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "cid830" <summitjags@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm with Bill on this one; I was taught to believe that satori
was
> > an initial breakthrough or awakening. But that it is not
> necessarily
> > Enlightenment or the complete loss of self. Although, i think it
is
> > possible to experience it all at once.  Satori is a concept but
it
> > is real as defined in one's practice.  And if one believes
satori
> is
> > real, then it is real. Especially if they experience it! We can
say
> > everything is an illusion, but we still need to define
parameters
> > for the sake of discussion, as well as for noting progress in
our
> > practice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >        Chris
> >
> > --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Jue Miao Jing Ming -
覺妙精明
> > <chan.jmjm@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you for all of your input about satori.  I used google
> > translator
> > > and I found the Japanese equivalent, 悟り
> > >
> > > If that is the correct Kanji, then it means literally
Awakening.
> > > Awakening is defined by our school a realization/experience
that
> > we are
> > > enslaved by our mind.  Just a mental realization as well as an
> > > experience separating us from our mind.
> > >
> > > Is this correct?
> > >
> > > If satori means a state of being, then we can live our daily
life
> > in the
> > > state of Satori, then there is no self.  Therefore no
suffering,
> > no
> > > judgment, etc.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > JM
> > > PS. Our school uses the term of "practice with our heart",
> because
> > heart
> > > has no memory.  It is incapable to think.  :-)

> > just

> > 40yahoogroups.com>,

> experience.
> > But