Hi Edgar-

> Ah, come on now! You can't leave us dangling with that teaser
> and not tell us now, can you? Fess up! After all we might

I most certainly can! But...I do like you a lot being a fellow hermit
alien and all...and you have asked...

> learn something, at least I might. After all, I'm a hermit too,
> living alone on top of my hill in the woods, object of suspicion
> and rumor, my only loves my visiting animals, the wind, the sun
> and the boles of trees, and the constant loving flowing glow of
> the Tao.
>
> Edgar

Hmmmm. Lets start by saying that illusions about love and sex are some
of the most stubborn and difficult to detach from, and it may be
impossible for some people (age is a factor) because of hormones.

I am talking about recent research written about by Helen Fisher
(physical anthropology). Fisher has several books out. Also research
done in the late 70's by the woman who wrote Love And Limmerance,
whose name I unfortunately cannot remember. If you have access to
video or television, the National Geographic Channel, there is a very
good episode of the show Naked Science called What's Sexy? that will
give you the basics.

The basic gist is this: Mother Nature is a brilliant manipulator and
She has a nearly unlimited toolbox at Her disposal. Mother Nature is a
very foxy Lady, and by foxy I mean super-intelligent and sly. Mother
Nature wants us to make babies and has some very good tricks to get us
to do just that.

First of all you must understand that hormones are not just any
chemicals, they are mind altering drugs every bit as powerful as LSD
or any of the others. Also remember that there's 60 some hormones,
estrogen and testosterone are only 2 of them. Anyway, what we think of
as "love" - that is, romantic love between a woman and a man, is
nothing more than a very powerful chemical-hormonal cocktail served up
courtesy of Mother Nature via your own brain to get you to do one
thing: make babies. It is a complete illusion. It does not exist. It
is not "personal" - the same chemical cocktail is served to anyone who
has ever been, or ever will be "in love."

Animals are served roughly the same chemical cocktail (depending on
species) chimpanzees, for example, get almost exactly the same
chemical cocktail we do. The difference is animals don't try to make
it into something it's not by getting married, writing sappy love
songs, declaring it ordained of God, etc. The animals breed, raise the
young, and get on with the rest of life. I guess it's no secret by now
that I think animals are much "smarter" than people in this area.

Now, I want you to understand that Helen Fisher has received death
threats over this. I'm not kidding. So I really am going out on a limb
here. I've had a glass of water thrown into my face over it and have
been told that I am unspeakably evil. I just want to remind everyone
that I am a mother. I used to be under the influence of that same
chemical cocktail. But now I am a post-menopausal woman, and
post-menopausal women are in a unique position. We no longer have
enough of certain hormones to make the chemical cocktail...we are able
to observe and communicate what it's like to be an adult and not be
influenced by the chemicals. All I can say is that my personal
experience corroborates the research.

I could get into a lot of other stuff about why the culture (American)
treats older women the way it does, but I don't want get into it right
now.

There you go, Edgar.

PEACE to everyone else.