In my direct experience there is nothing at all mystical about zen - nor is
there anything mystical about it as the old Chinese masters taught it. And I do
think this is why many people have such a hard time with zen - they are looking
for something mystical, they cannot believe it really is that simple: "Everyday
mind is zen mind" or "Marvelous spiritual power; chopping wood and carrying
water!" or "If you want to understand zen directly, the normal mind is zen
mind." And my favorite: "Someone asked Xuedou, 'What is the living meaning of
zen?' Xuedou said, 'The mountains are high, the oceans are wide.' "

Until you "get it" these things don't seem to make sense and people think there
must be some deep mystical thing they are missing. After you "get it" you
realize it was there all along! ;-)

Artie