Hi Kristy-

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Kristy McClain <healthypl...@...> wrote:
> *chuckles*

> I'm glad we both  got our rants out for all to witness;)

No doubt some here now think I'm as eccentric and "wild-eyed" as some of the
zennists of the distant past - if they only knew! *grin*

> I guess I was just truly disgruntled by this trend to somehow make the
> dharma  palatable to the westerner. Either the teaching has value and
> wisdom--or it doesn't.  I don't think one changes the teaching to suit the
> student.  The teaching exists so the student can change within.  Its the
> square peg ~ round hole issue.  If a westerner mindset is  stuck in
> ignorance and ego-drive, contorting the teachings does not seem like a
> reasoned response.

While I'm not a buddhist, it doesn't make sense to me - it not only seems
unreasonable, but inefficient(? not sure that's the right word) as well.

The things that frustrate me about Americans are not only the sense of
entitlement and materialism already mentioned, but also the hurry. My journey
began when I was in my early teens, and I'm in late middle now- it probably
wasn't till my early 40s that I really came into my own. People here seem to
want "enlightenment in a can" or "instant religion xyz, one size fits all".
They aren't willing to learn and explore, find out what works for them- then
they don't understand why they feel the teachings they do embrace don't work
and are meaningless to them.

It's good to talk with you Kristy :-)

(Disclaimer: Please understand I am speaking in general terms only, and I am an
American myself. I have never been outside my country, so I can't speak about
what it is like in other countries. Thank you.)